Palliative & Supportive Care of Nantucket is a specialized health care program dedicated to providing excellent physical, psychological, social, and spiritual care for persons with life-threatening illness and their families. Services are provided through an interdisciplinary team of professionals and volunteers and focus on alleviating physical, emotional, and spiritual symptoms of distress and enhancing personal growth and well-being in order to help patients and their families attain the highest quality of life possible. Services are available throughout the continuum of illness, from diagnosis through cure or, if cure is not possible, through advancing illness and death. Operated as a department of Nantucket Cottage Hospital, the program is funded by Palliative & Supportive Care of Nantucket Foundation, a separate, tax-exempt public charity. Through this unique partnership in caring, we strive to provide state-of-the-art palliative and supportive care, and further seek to serve as a catalyst for cultural change so that:
|– All persons facing the challenge of living with life threatening illness receive a range of supportive and
life-enhancement services throughout the course of their disease, from the time of diagnosis onward;
– All persons requiring health care are cared for holistically, i.e., with regard for mind, body, and spirit, and with regard for their families;
– The relief of physical, emotional, and spiritual pain and suffering is pursued as aggressively as is the treatment of the disease itself;
– Effective complementary therapies are incorporated into patients’ treatment regimes when appropriate;
– Excellent supportive and palliative care are integrated into the practices of general health care providers;
– The end stage of life becomes recognized as an important and valuable life phase.
We trust that the achievement of our vision will enable persons in our community to face life-threatening illness, confident that they and their loved ones will be supported throughout their illness in a nurturing and aesthetically pleasing environment. In all that we do, we commit ourselves to maintaining financial integrity and to offering our services in a cost-effective manner.
|Mission||History||Foundation||Staff||Marla Lamb Fund|